1. Model of respectful, cooperative, positive behavior in your everyday interactions.
2. Participate in school events.
3. Show interest. Be involved in your child’s academic activities.
4. Maintain regular contact with your child’s teacher.
5. Monitor your child’s homework completion and work with him/her on homework assignments that involve family participation.
6. Be present when things go wrong.
7. Know your child’s friends, and their parents.
8. Ask school leaders what you can do to support them.
9. Volunteer at school.
10. Nominate effective school leaders for local awards.
Johns Hopkins University
Military Child Initiative