Tips for Parents to Foster Connectedness
- Model of respectful, cooperative, positive behavior in your everyday interactions.
- Participate in school events.
- Show interest. Be involved in your child’s academic activities.
- Maintain regular contact with your child’s teacher.
- Monitor your child’s homework completion and work with him/her on homework assignments that involve family participation.
- Be present when things go wrong.
- Know your child’s friends, and their parents.
- Ask school leaders what you can do to support them.
- Volunteer at school.
- Nominate effective school leaders for local awards.
Johns Hopkins University
Military Child Initiative